- globally, 77,600,000 girls do not attend school
- there are 33,000,000 fewer girls than boys in primary education
- girls with secondary education are 6 times less likely to be married as children
- a girl with 7 years of schooling in the developing world will have 2.2 fewer children
- a child born to a literate mother is 50% more likely to survive past the age of 5
- two thirds of the 775,000,000 illiterate adults, and 63% of illiterate youth, are female
- literate mothers are twice as likely to immunize their children and send them to school
- a girl who completes basic education is 3 times less likely to contract HIV
- a girl earns 20% more as an adult for every additional year of education she receives
- a nation’s GDP rises an average of 3% when 10% more its girls attend school
- less than 2% of international development funds are specifically allocated to girls
- school is not free in over 50 countries
photos: (1) malala yousafza before addressing the un; (2) joey l. of a school for the hamar tribe in ethiopia; (3) beawiharta in jakarta of students who risk life crossing a collpased bridge to get to school; (4) muhammed muheisen in pakistan; (5) altaf gadri of an unofficial school run for slum dwellers held under a bridge in new delhi; (6) paula bronstein of burmese refugees in thailand at a school in their refugee camp; (7) noah seelam in hyderabad, india; (8) per anders pettersson, uganda; (9) lana slezic in afghanistan; (10) roberto schmidt in afghanistan, where acid attacks and poisoning of water by the taliban is on the increase at schools for girls
You big, beautiful gas ball, you!
In Japanese, the name for Jupiter is 木星, pronounced “mokusei”, which literally translates as “wooden star”. In images like these, you can kinda see where they were coming from.
(The name uses the same characters in Chinese too, but I don’t know the pronounciation.)
Breathtaking Photos of Enchanted Landscapes
- Dead Horse Mill, Crystal, Colorado, United States (source)
- Mont Saint, Michel, France (source)
- Fairytale Tree Tunnel, Ireland (source)
- Lake Brienz, Switzerland (source)
- Grand Canyon Skywalk, Arizona, United States (source)
- Maroon Bells, Colorado, United States (source)
- Forest Bridge, Japan (source)
- Enchanted Forest, Bavaria, Germany (source)
- Bend in the Yangtze River, China (source)
- The Matterhorn towering over the village of Zermatt, Swiss Alps (source - © Brian Jannsen)
Great Rainbow Arch
your bright light
your seven colours
your cool dew
link sky and earth above the Christmas stable.
Hold us all in your encompassing arms.
Forgive our exclusion of others
earth and life and child.
So may we too forgive those who have excluded us.
Save us from the darkness of deep winter.
Show us the returning light;
for the light and the colours and the dew,
all space and time,
and your seven-fold rainbow compassion
dwell ever in God.
The real Maria von Trapp with Julie Andrews via the official Rodgers & Hammerstein Youtube channel (which as of this post, has only 341 subscribers).